Board ProfileAs the newly appointed Chief Human Resource Officer for MGIC, I am leading the human capital efforts related to a significant business transformation initiative that will shape the future of work for MGIC. Core deliverables require heightened attention to the culture of the organization while paying respect to the legacy of the environment. This work touches multiple aspects of talent practices and a significant degree of interaction with company leadership and the Board of Directors. With any business transformation, an expectation is set to achieve process improvement balanced with appropriate talent resources that includes a review of compensation practices, talent pipelining, succession planning and skills/leadership development. What I bring to the Board of Directors in this effort is the ability to start with the business imperatives and establish solutions using a mix of market practices and internal cultural acceptance. As the management representative of the Management, Development, Nomination and Governance Committee of MGIC, I am held to a standard of strong strategic insight related to human capital.
My experience at the board level can be described in two regards. First, my interaction with the Board of Directors for a publicly traded company includes a lengthy history of over 10 years. In my role as VP/SVP of Total Rewards for Kohl’s, I frequently presented to the Audit and Compensation Committees and was heavily involved in shaping the work in recent years to address continued pressure on matters ranging from health care expenditures to executive compensation matters. In my role as CHRO with MGIC, the responsibilities that I have to matters related to talent and executive compensation have increased and I lead the discussions in these areas on behalf of the organization.
My second board experience is within the nonprofit space. I am the chairperson of the American Cancer Society Wisconsin Leadership Board. This appointment has afforded me the opportunity to influence the direction of ACS with particular attention to matters that impact the health and wellbeing of our local community. As nonprofits continue to struggle in the midst of the pandemic, the role of volunteers and board members to support the mission has never been stronger. Participation in a nonprofit setting provides me with a broader lens on societal challenges and further developments leadership characteristics including empathy, resourcefulness and awareness.
Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Company (MGIC), Milwaukee, WI, August 2020 to Present
Publicly traded, private mortgage insurance company
Chief Human Resource Officer, August 2020 to Present
Reports to the CEO. Strategic advisor to the business, CEO and the Board of Directors in all matters related to talent within the organization.
- Work closely with members of the Board of Directors to oversee the design and administration of executive and employee compensation programs, budget plans and succession plans.
- Design and communicate a compelling HR strategy by developing a keen understanding of the business goals, strategies, and corporate culture. Set near-term priorities to support the business, while simultaneously developing long-term human capital initiatives to support the growth of the business.
- Ensure first-class delivery of HR support to the business. Responsible for the flawless execution of operations regarding the broad HR agenda.
- Operate as an active member of the senior leadership team, building trusted advisor relationships and contributing broadly to the business, strategy, and operations.
- Trusted advisor to the CEO.
Kohl’s Department Stores, Menomonee Falls, WI, September 2001 to August 2020
Fortune 150 company with over 1,150 locations across the United States
Senior Vice President, Human Resources, November 2016 to August 2020
Reports to the Chief People Officer. Strategic advisor to the business in developing talent/rewards practices. Key responsibilities include benefits, compensation, executive compensation, people analytics, HCM solution, leadership development, performance management and talent practices.
- Led long-range strategic planning in order to anticipate the innovation of change initiatives that promote people productivity, organizational efficiency, and cost effectiveness.
- Ensured that the organizational design and rewards structure is reflective of a dynamic business environment and up-to-date modes of working in an increasingly competitive business environment.
- Leveraged data analytics that identified, aligned and built on the business’s human capital capabilities to achieve overall business results and reach desired targets.
- Executed a 3-year strategy, vision and initiative roadmap for the successful implementation of a new human capital management solution, Workday, to support operational excellence and enhance employee engagement.
Vice President, HR-Total Rewards, September 2012 to October 2016
- Created strategic solutions to address wage pressure within the hourly store population with a balanced approach inclusive of workforce needs and financial considerations in a challenging retail environment. Multi-million dollar cost avoidance achieved.
- Built an integrated approach to benefits and compensation practices including a stronger focus on overall value, market positioning, and return on investment, awareness and education.
- Designed solutions to address increasing health benefit costs including the introduction of 15 wellness centers across Kohl’s logistics and service centers.
- Created the HR Shared Service Center to gain operational productivity and efficiency through centralization of work across HR while improving the associate experience through a ‘one stop’ service platform.
- Developed the business case, vision and guiding principles in support of a new human capital management solution.
Director, HR-Benefits, April 2007 to August 2012
- Developed the strategy for all benefit plan design, administration, communication, compliance and financials.
- Introduced the first onsite wellness center at Kohl’s corporate office; $2 million cost avoidance within 24 months of operation.
- Developed strategic and leading-practice solutions for curbing increasing health plan costs including plan/contribution designs, health management solutions and health care delivery options. Achieved annual savings of ~$10 million.
- Guided all elements of health plan compliance including the Affordable Care Act and changes necessary to both adhere to the requirements as well as balance all financial considerations.
Recognition & Awards
Executive MBA, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI, January 2020
Certified Employee Benefit Specialist, International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans, 2003
Bachelor of Business Administration, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI, 1989